Friday 11 November 2011

Materials RAILWAY TRACKS

So I have really been caught up in the idea of using old, existing railway tracks to clad the external walls and roof my building. I think it is a great way to integrate the building into the landscape, and get the community involved. I don't particularly think that it needs to only be railway track profiled steel. Iron members from an old factory or warehouse (of which there are many in Albury) would be fine, which would totally mix and match the types, profiles, and colors of the steel, creating a pattern, albeit completely random on the side of the building. It would also give the community and sense of ownership, knowing that the old mill or whatever building the steel came from had a helping hand in creating the new building. I would feel like I was part of it, like I had my own legacy left in the fundamental core of the building itself, and therefore more willing to engage with it, and make the forum a success. SOCIAL SUSTAINABILITY ALL THE WAY!


No comments:

Post a Comment